So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's the economy stupid!


Part of the point of this blog is to try and record how I try to get as much out of the little time I have for training. I know that there are loads of guys out there with more going on in their lives than me, guys who get up at 5.30am just to get their training in.

Maybe I just don't want it bad enough, but I find it difficult to get up at 6.45 which gives me just about enough time to eat, shower, dress, feed kids and drive (1 hour) to work. It's something I need to work on, I know....

Jim Wendler talks quite a bit about training economy, and recently Uber Fighter Georges St Pierre said something like 'why should I run and jump rope when I can shadow box'. The point here is do the training that gives most bang for your buck.

This is why for me, when I want to get some conditioning, given the choice I'm pretty much always going to go for a heavy bag workout. Punching, kicking, kneeing, clinching & sprawling for 10 x 3 min rounds will give me conditioning and some skill work, especially if I pitch the intensity right. If not bag work then maybe a fight-specific circuit featuring sprawls, boxing, dummy lifts, G'n'P, core work. Again, it's specific to what I'm trying to achieve.

Anyhow, training is going well, the lifts are increasing and I can feel my level of conditioning going up. Time for a weigh in......?

No comments:

Post a Comment