So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Just get it done


A "perfect storm" is an expression that describes an event where a rare combination of circumstances will aggravate a situation drastically Andrew Stern (2008-01-01).
 "Wordsmiths, avoid these words."

The definition above pretty much sums up the past few weeks for me in terms of the combination of my work and training circumstances; a little melodramatic perhaps, but a pretty accurate reflection nonetheless.  Work has been crazy with 14 hour days and 200 mile drives and to be honest after some of the shitty things that have been happening at work, the last thing I've wanted to do is train.  The convergence of work pressure and the need to prepare for competition is unfortunate to say the least.

However, with time ticking away before the Combudo competition the need to train has become critical if I'm not to embarrass myself. 

Experience has taught me that you rarely find the time to do things, you have to make it, and it was with this in mind that I came across this article on the website of Mile High Multisport discussing the various ways that an athlete or sports-person can life around training... or vice-versa.


I heard Dave Scott speak a few years ago and he said the hardest thing for him in training was knowing that he had an hour workout planned by only had ½ an hour in his schedule or wasn’t feeling the workout for the day. His theory is one I adhere to religiously in training. If you can do at least 20 minutes, DO IT is what Dave said. Either you’ll snap out of your “I don’t want to work out today” funk or at least you get something in. Sometimes work gets busy and I want to do an hour long workout, but only have ½ an hour left. I add a bit of intensity to the workout and know I at least got something in. It always feels better.

The article has a number of good suggestions and some that are pretty off the wall - changing clothes whilst stopped at traffic lights??!!!  Compounding my own difficulties was the issue of food.  I've spent the last two weeks working away from my office or home in an environment where food is provided and it's been starch city - sandwiches, potatoes, cookies - and while I've tried to curb the ingestion of too many carbs it hasn't been easy.  On top of the availability of poor food choices, long working days and early starts have made preparing food to take with me a proposition for which I've had little enthusiasm.  Even leftovers or soup has been off the cards as I've had no access to a microwave.  Of course if I'd been more organised or motivated I could've prepared food...... oh well.

So, with all this in mind, the following is a list of some of the things I've learnt which could be helpful in the battle for time:

  1. Just do it.  I often spend a lot of unnecessary time in a state of indecision with regard to whether or not I can get to training or what I need to do if I'm training on my own, or whether I'm too tired or injured to train, or etc, etc.  I've found that the answer for me is that anything is better than nothing.  I often challenge my own self-talk when I'm over thinking like this and just do something, often resorting to the mantra "What's the worst that can happen?".
  2. Nuts and fruit are fast food.  They need no preparation other than their purchase.  Often I'll keep almonds, cashews and pistachios, plus a bottle or two of water, in the car for days when lunch may not happen or dinner will be late.
  3. Training economy is vital.  Done in the right way, bagwork can develop skill and improve conditioning.  Sled work will develop conditioning, strength and explosiveness.  Strongman style training - Farmers' walks, loaded carries, etc. - will develop strength and conditioning.  When you've little time, train smart.
  4. When you're there, do stuff.  If I can only get to Leicester Shootfighters on one night I'll try to a) make it a night when I can take part in sessions that correlate well with my goals, and b) try to make it a night on which I can take part in more than one session, sometimes as many as three.
  5. When you're there make the most of it.  Concentrate during teaching, concentrate when drilling, be a good training partner, make the most of sparring.  Don't be one of those guys who chats, becomes distracted and doesn't learn anything.
  6. Find out what helps you learn.  Drilling, technical sparring, etc.  For me, writing a journal helps to cement what I've learnt and gives my something to refer back to.
  7. Make your rest count.  I've been working hard at sleep (oxymoron?) using hypnosis to help me get to sleep and get good sleep.  This has been invaluable in maximising my already limited energy stores.
Finally a quick word on weight.  Even though my diet's been pretty poor I've managed to continue to lose a little weight which I'm very pleased with.  I'm on course to comfortably hit the middle of the 90 - 100kg category.

More soon, Godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment