So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Training at Leicester MMA




I've not been able to put as much work in this week as I'd hoped – lots of family stuff going on in addition to work. However, I have made a big step forward by returning to Leicester Shootfighters. My first session was submission grappling focusing on side control. The session was taught by Liam Corrigan an Assistant Coach with a fine pedigree in grappling and MMA competition.
On entering the gym I was amazed to see a large class, much larger than the classes were last time I attended, taking part in a boxing class run by JD Hylton. The energy level of the participants was impressive and all seemed to be getting to grips with JD's instruction pretty easily, Many stayed on the mat for the submission grappling class.
After a comprehensive warm-up Liam took us through a selection of bridging and shrimping drills. These are key skills in grappling & I remember Nathan Leverton saying many moons ago, that anyone who wants to be remotely proficient on the mat needs to have these skills down (I'm paraphrasing here). There was obviously a good mix of skill on the mat and a range of ages, whilst I wasn't the oldest I was certainly at that end of the spectrum. We then moved on to a good look at utilising side control, maintaining position, switching control to respond to opponent moving. Moving on, Liam took the class through positioning for head and arm triangle choke during which he showed some details that really make a difference with regard to getting or missing the choke – excellent stuff. Finally, we went through moving to North-South and taking the armbar from mount.
It was a great reintroduction to submission grappling and Liam's teaching has stayed in my brain which can only mean it was good.
This week I'm planning on going to a MMA striking class and a grappling class.
Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment