So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Getting the basics right first.


Haven't posted for a while....but don't be fooled, I have been busy.

My shin is now pretty much healed and I've been able to do some grappling and mma training alongside the boxing.  Most of the scabbing is gone and, despite not getting stitched when I shoulda, I don't think there's any risk of re-tearing it.  Next week I'll be re-integrating deadlifts in to my strength work making sure I use the right socks to prevent injuring it again.

I've loved the boxing training recently and much of that is down to the way JD Hylton runs the classes.  I've previously written on here about his style and how it really works for me - I manage to retain a lot of what I learn which is the key thing.  I think that this is due to the fact that JD emphasises a lot of the techniques, skills, tips consistently throughout lessons - he doens't mention something one week and not again for a couple of months; it's there week-in, week-out.  Another thing that I find helpful is the way in which the classes always start the same, emphasising the same attributes - starting slowly to build smoothness, long punches to ensure an ability to fight at a realistic range without having to make huge adaptions, movement.  There's nothing flashy here, and nothing earth shattering just lots of solid technique, not based on attributes, and lots of reps in order to really develop something that's learned.

This is what makes it real and applicable.  When you get to my advanced years (Ahem!) you realise that doing the Ali Shuffle or developing Anderson Silva style head movement is some way down the road if your footwork means you get battered while you're trying it.

At the last lesson JD acknowledged that he's 'not the most exciting boxing coach' but I'm always very suspicious of coaches in any martial arts/combat sports who show the class flashy moves.  One of the final nails in the coffin of kickboxing for me was when our coach showed us some 'self defense' moves.  At the time I was training Kano Jiu Jitsu as well and also studying the work of Geof Thompson, Kevin O'Hagan, Mo Teague, and Dave Turton.  The stuff showed by the kickboxer was useless, but all those in the class were lapping it up and that's worse than useless, it's dangerous.  For me this is too much like death punches, secret pressure points, etc.  Perhaps you can make these work if you're a 10th degree Master in your artform but too many guys turn up to classes wanting to learn spinning backfists before they can move or jab.

Given the choice I'll take a solid grounding in the basics every time.  When I've got those down then I'll maybe learn some more complex stuff... if I'm up to it.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment