So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

(B)logging

Training around other commitments can sometimes make it feel as though I'm lacking consistency, volume and the correct elements in what I'm doing. Perhaps it's easier to notice (and regret?) days off than consistency or progress. Of course, this is where logs come in and many people now keep training logs on websites and forums – T-Nation (mine's there), Rosstraining and many other sites have sections devoted to users' training logs.

I have always found that having a log on a forum or site is a great motivator for getting out and doing some training, you don't want others to see the big long gaps between sessions! My only problem with logs is that it can be difficult to see a broader picture of your training, across two weeks for example. So it was with this in mind, and because I haven't posted too much training-wise recently and I don't want people thinking that I'm not training, that I decided to copy my log from T-Nation, annotate it a bit, and post it up here. I've taken approximately two weeks from the last month, have a look and let me know what you think.....

Wednesday 10th October:

Swissbar press 5/3/1 up to 8 x 56kg
Power Clean 5 x 5 up to 67kg
Deadlift 5/3/1 up to 12 x 108kg


Thursday 11th October:


1 hr grappling, 1 hr boxing, 1 hr circuit/stretching/mobility.



This was training at LeicesterShootfighters, as I can only usually get there once a week I try to do three sessions while I'm there.

Sunday 14th October:

5 hours jiu jitsu seminar

Part of the Leverage GrapplingSystem 'Fundamentals' series focusing on side control. Review to come.



Monday 15th October:

5/3/1 Trapbar deadlift up to 8 x 122kg (fucked up here and miscounted the plates ending up doing 13 x 112kg before the 122kg)
5/3/1 swissbar bench up to 10 x 61kg.


Tuesday 16th October:

2 x 10 station circuits as posted previously (felt easier)
Planks



Wednesday 17th October:


Lifting tonight, short on time so Cleans were only done for three sets. Time was I would've skimped on the warm-up/mobility but it's self defeating and an invitation to injury.

5/3/1 Swissbar press up to 9 x 51kg
Power cleans 5 x 50kg, 60kg, 70kg
5/3/1 Deadlift up to 15 x 102kg

Good session considering I only had 35 mins.

Thursday 18th October:
1 hour grappling + 1 hour muay thai.
Training at Leicester Shootfighters.

Sunday 21st October:
Very sore hip/groin/lower back for no discernible reason so decided not to risk any Trapbar work.

Mega warm-up mobility work (stretching, rolling, resistance band).

5/3/1 Swissbar bench. Up to 12 x 58kg
Supersets 40kg DB row 28kg DB bench.
I've reduced the weight on the DB bench in order to get more reps in.

Monday 22nd October:
Lots of mobility work.
10 x 3 min rounds muay thai on the heavy bag.
Core work – generally either ab wheel rollouts, planks, hanging leg raises or barbell twists.

NB: I was on holiday Tuesday to Friday this week.

Saturday 27th October:
Mobility/warm-up
5/3/1 Trapbar up to 12 x 115kg
5/3/1 Swissbar press up to 8 x 54kg (Super-setted with Swissbar rows)
3 x 10 sandbag press

5 x 10 sec sprint/20 sec run.

Monday 29th October
Conditioning circuit, 10 stations, 50 secs each, 10 secs change over.

Heavybag - 3 combinations followed by a sprawl after each three.
Bag hops - hands on heavy bag that's lying on the floor, hop feet over from side to side.
Resistance band snap down.
Heavybag - Combo followed by kick each time.
Ab wheel rollouts
Wall sits
Heavy bag - punch in to clinch and lift the bag
Barbell twists
Burpees
Heavybag combinations (minimum of 4 punches each combo)

Went through this twice.

Tuesday 30th October
Full warm up & mobility + foam rolling.

Power cleans - sets of 5 up to 72kg
5/3/1 deadlift up to 15 x 110kg.

5 x 10 sec sprint/20 sec run

My mobility work always includes:
Resistance band scarecrows
Resistance band dislocates
Resistance band hurricanes
Resistance band face pulls

Hydrants
Groiners
Cat stretches
Quad/groin stretches
Hurdler stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment