So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Week in Review

Since my last post about training at Leicester MMA I've managed to fit in four further training sessions there, two grappling and two MMA striking.
First up was submission grappling with Nathan Leverton, working throws/takedowns from the clinch.  First up was a 'sagging' takedown from the overhook and wrist control.  This was a new one to me and I like it - doesn't seem too technical or difficult to learn and I'll be interested to see if I can make it work on a taller opponent.  We also trained a no gi version of O Goshi and Tiatoshi.

All these throws lead naturally in to a scarf-hold position and we spent some time working submissions from there.  Nathan's teaching is friendly, easy to follow and always contains real-life examples of the techniques in action as well as the details that can be the difference between a technique failing or working.

My most recent session was striking training with JD Hylton.  This is the first time I've experienced JD's coaching and I was impressed with his knowledge and style.  Covering round kicks and basic straight punching JD conveyed his instruction in an informal style which facilitated ease of learning.  Good stuff.

Outside of training at Leicester MMA I've fitted in one session of conditioning circuits and one weights session.  I would've preferred to get more in but such is life.  All-in-all I feel that things are going ok, I would've liked to fight in March but I don't think I'll be any where close to ready.  Just as long as I make it before the big 4-0....

No comments:

Post a Comment