So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Monday, May 9, 2011

On my way to the cage...

Last year I got an idea that I wanted to have another amateur MMA fight before it was too late. It seemed to me that my last fight, a loss in the now defunct KSBO organisation, should not be the end for me.


Previously I had trained on and off at Leicester Shootfighters, from the time they were at DeMontfort University up until just before they moved to their own gym. Prior to this I had trained in kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu.


Although I hadn't trained at LSF for a while I had kept up some kickboxing and strength and conditioning work at home. But my training wasn't going anywhere. It was disordered, had few goals and was more and more about 'having a workout' rather than 'training'.


I love Mixed Martial Arts, have done for years, but I don't want to be just a fan. No disrespect to fans of the sport but I want to take part, I want to know what it's like to compete, even in my own little way.


So that's what I'm trying to do. Trying to compete a little, maybe with others, maybe with myself, maybe with the clock.


I want to prove that I can do it. I want to prove that other thirty and forty-something guys can find time amongst family, work, relationships and injury to be able to compete. Even if they don't actually get in the cage or the ring or on to the competitive mat.


So this blog is going to be about my journey. Maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't but it won't be through lack of trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment