So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Strong(er)

In terms of combat sports I'm a believer in the idea espoused by Straight Blast Gym and Rodney King (I heard it from Nathan Leverton at LSF) that training and competing should not be attribute driven. That is, the way in which you train and fight should not be based on your ability to move with lightning speed, deadlift 2000lbs or catch a fly with chop sticks. Rather, you should use techniques and skills that work no matter how fast, strong or flexible you are. For one thing, when you come across someone faster, etc. your weapons are largely negated.


Now, I'm also a realist and I know that physical attributes are going to determine a great deal of someone's fighting style. As a short man I'm not going to try and develop a game that involves maintaining distance with jabs and kicks – it'd only keep me within range of a taller fighter (everyone at my weight!).


With all this in mind I know that I'm pretty strong and that I've got a good strength base on which to build. So, I am working on maintaining and improving strength as it's always been a key part in the way I train and fight. That's not to say that I'm not working on improving conditioning, in fact this is the priority, just that strength isn't going out the window.


After really indulging in confused and semi-productive training for most of last year, I decided to embark on Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 course. Here's why:


  1. It's proven to build strength.

  2. It involves big, basic compound exercises.

  3. It programmes your workouts so there's no 'what shall I do today?' when you get in to the weightroom.

  4. You can be in and out of the gym in 30 – 45 mins.

  5. You can train twice a week and get stronger.

  6. Conditioning and flexibility are given importance.

  7. It's proven to build strength (this bears repeating).


I started back in November last year and haven't looked back. I feel stronger and this is backed up by the numbers. For example, my deadlift has gone from 1 x 300lbs to 10 x 264lbs (haven't tested 1 rep max, don't feel the need). My trapbar deadlift has gone from 1 x 400lbs to 10 x 360lbs.


I'm enjoying my training and looking forward to them again, not getting in to the gym and thinking, 'don't feel like snatches, I'll just do some clean and presses at, er, um, 30kgs?'. I know where I'm going which is the whole point of my training at the moment: I have a goal.


If you're interested in 5/3/1 check it out here and buy it here. If you want to get strong you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment